Monday, October 30, 2017

Lost in Joseon : Chapter One



I FROWNED AT THE SCENES HAPPENING IN FRONT OF MY EYES. NO, NO, NO! This can't be! Why? Why?! WHY?! Why is it always like this?! I clench my jaw, my fist shaking from the anger building up inside me. Why do I have this stupid second-lead man syndrome?! Why do dramas always end up with the girl and the main guy?! For Pete's sake, why does love triangle even exists?

     I pouted as I watched the ending credits and bonus clips of the drama I had just finished. The writer, the crew, the director, and the producer really love to make the viewers suffer at the end of kdramas that they make.

     "You lose."

      I glared at her. There she goes again. Instead of answering that stupid phrase that she always say whenever we finished watching a Korean drama, I half-heartedly handed her the $50 I've been saving up for some stupid reason and gave her another one of my signature glare. "Stupid, stupid, stupid. Soooo stupid. Everything is stupid. The characters are stupid, the actors are stupid, the director is stupid, that drama is stupid." I uttered in disbelief. 

     "I'm really going to be rich if this continues on." She said with a lopsided grin on her face. I gave her the finger and she only snickered in amusement. Her name is Redix (or Red, as she prefers), and she's my cousin from my father's side. She's lesbian though, but that does not stop her from dressing girly and fasionable clothes. That is a problem for me because people often mistaken me as the lesbian between us (because I prefer to dress like a man: oversized t-shirt with baggy pants and a sketcher shoes to pair with them is my everyday wear). 

     I watch her in disdain as she counted the money that she's earning from our stupid and useless bet. She caught me looking at her and she sticked her tongue out at me. That little bitch!

     I was about to hit her when out of nowhere, Jackie, my little brother (whose name was actually inspired from Jackie Chan— my parents were big fans of him) decided to show up and goof around by showing everyone his tooth (he asked the dentist to give him the tooth that the dentist had removed from him) he artistically painted on.

     I gave him the weird look, "That's gross, Kie." I said.

     "No! It's awesome!" And then he flies away, still hyped about the painted tooth.

     Frustrated and annoyed, I released a big sigh and slammed my hands on the table. Red, who knows me better than my mother immediately took a step backward and automatically used her hands as an imaginary shield from me. "No, don't do it Andy! I'm begging you." She gave me a look which you can literally translate into "No-don't-do-it-or-else-the-world-will-be-in-a-bloodshed-state-and-you'll-be-left-alone-once-you-do-it-so-please-no".

     I ignored her.

     "BECAUSE THEY TOOK MY LOVE AND THEY FILLED IT UP, FILLED IT UP WITH NOVOCAINE AND NOW I'M JUST NUMB!" I sang in an out-of-tune voice while literally screaming at the top of my lungs that I could almost feel that my throat leaving my body. Wait, is that even possible?

     Everyone knows that I'm a very terrible singer, and legend has it that my voice had once stop a war. Well no, okay that was a lie; It's very obvious.



     Three days from now on, school is going to start again. I'm going to be in Senior High at that time and Senior High means more projects, more assignments, less sleep, and instead of more Korean dramas it'll be more high school dramas and that's kinda boring for me. That's why I'm in a K-drama marathon right now and I've been searching for some unique dramas wherein the girl doesn't fall for the main guy and instead she will fall for the guy who's always been beside her along the way a.k.a the good guy a.k.a the second lead guy. So far, I've seen nothing. And it makes me so frustrated because I've only got 3 days to find one! Gosh, I kinda wanna go to Korea right now and complain to those directors to make some good drama where the second lead will get the love of his life!

     "Knock some sense out of it Andy Leigh," said Red while reading some magazine about gays and lesbo, "All your efforts will all be for naught. I have not seen any dramas that ended with the second lead and the girl."

     "Shut up. I won't give up on this stupidity I am doing." I muttered, so focused on my laptop's screen I didn't even notice Red has gone eerily quiet. And that's weird cause Red is a very talkative little shit making me want to kick her out of this house so I could focus on my drama marathon.

     "Red can you get some water for me?" I asked, not looking at her direction. She didn't answer so I repeated my request. When she didn't answer for the second time, that's the time where I raised my head onlyto see a man standing in front of me. He clearly looked like an Asian and I immediately recognized the clothes that he is wearing. I raised my brow hoping that this is just my wild imagination, but no, the man is still there, gaping at me like I'm a wild animal, hands were ready to pull the sword on his belt.

     "Eunuch Zhang!" I panicked when he shouted words that felt alien to me --- I stopped breathing. I could understand what he just said but I know that it's a different language. Korean? No, it's more elegant and constrained compared to the way the actors in a Korean drama speak.

     My eyeballs felt like coming out when realization hit me. Ancient Korean dialect?!

     I look at my surroundings and before I felt myself falling and becoming unconscious, it dawns on me that I am in Joseon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you like this post.

Chrome Pointer