Monday, October 30, 2017

Lost in Joseon : Chapter Two




IT CAN'T BE. THIS CAN'T BE REAL. No, calm yourself, Andy Leigh. You're just imagining all of these things inside your head. I'm probably dreaming. Yes, that would be the case, right? My mind is just playing tricks on me. That's right. Too much watching of k-dramas probably did this to me. Hah, no need to panic.

     But in order for me to know whether I'm really just imagining all of these, I tried pinching myself. God fucking damn it, it fucking hurts. I knitted my brows in frustration. What in the world is happening? Don't tell me all of these is actually real?

     No. No, no, no. Stop it. No need to overthink. This is just one of those stupid dreams I've had in the past. I don't need no confirmation for it. I'm certain that everything happening right now isn't real.

     "You're awake." I snapped out of my trance as I heard his voice. I froze in my spot. Dude, no matter how surreal everything is right now, that person speaking to me makes me so scared. He got a sword by his side and he looks like those palace guards I've watched in Korean Dramas. Rule number one, you do not piss off this kind of man. They are aggressive by their nature due to their deep loyalty to their king.

     "I don't know if you would understand me, but I'm not your enemy."

     "Nonsense. You were found snooping around the Crown Prince's room. For all we know, you might be a spy."

     I rolled my eyes. Yeah, sure, I'm a spy now. I worked as an instrument to a certain rebellion against the monarch. Whew, very uncommon, very undrama like (I don't even know if there's such a word called "undrama").

     "Since now I know you could understand me, I'm going to introduce myself to you just to clear any suspicions you have for me. My name's Andy Leigh, as you can see by my facial and physical appearance, I'm no Korean. I'm a Westerner. I'm 16, I'm a female as you can see (He might accuse me of being part of Thai's Ladyboy show). And I like Korean Dramas sooooo much. Oh and anime too. And a little bit of Kpop... And Fall Out Boy."

     He furrowed his brow, unable to understand what I'm trying to tell him, "Are you stating your affiliations to the rebellion against the future king?"

     ...What...?

     "Or you might be someone sent by the Westerners to spy on us in order for you to aquire our beloved land!"

     I face palmed. "You are mistaken on that dear sire, I repeat, I ain't your enemy! I'm just an innocent citizen who's also as confused as you are! I'm actually just chilling in the confines of my room just a while ago, surfing through the internet and watching some k-drama when I suddenly notice I was in a different room! And then you came and I lost consciousness and now we're talking with each other without even knowing how we're able to understand each other when you're definitely speaking Korean and I'm speaking in English!"

     The guard suddenly became alert as if he just now realized what I just told him. His gaze to me become softer, "You are right. H-how?" For a second, I though he's going to believe me but then he returned his glare to me, "But still! That doesn't make any sense! What you're saying is a complete nonsense! And what words are you saying to me? I-inteoneteu (internet)? K-kei deurama (k-drama)?"

    I rolled my eyes at him. Even if I explained it to him he still won't understand it. Then an idea popped into my mind, "Look, you probably won't believe me but I'm surprised to be in this period. I'm a millenial, I came from the future, I'm from the 21st century and I know it's a lot to take in but I am not, by no means, lying to you. I am not a spy. I am not part of any rebellion nor do I wish that the Westerners would conquer your land. I'm innocent, I swear! I just want to go back to my own time right now because your time, it seems, is so boring. Don't hate me, just saying. No internet, no k-drama or any anime shows to watch, oh how I wish to return home right now."

     It seems that I made him more confused and agitated because of what I told him. It was so visible in his face: he was gritting his teeth, his eyes were blinking so fast as if he's trying to understand and process all the information I've given him, and his brows were all knitted together. After a while he looked at me with intense gaze, "Are you really telling me the truth?" I nodded my head to him immediately. "If you really are from the future, I need to ask you this: Is your medication more advanced? Do you know anything about treating someone?"

     I tilted my head, confused. He saw through my head and answered me, "Our current king, the brother of the crown prince is bedridden. He actually just became a king last two years ago. It was such a mystery to us, his people, when he suddenly became sick when he actually showed such an exceptional health. The royal physicians had already checked him time after time but to no avail, he can't be cured. That is why his younger brother, the now crown prince, is preparing to be the future king because the current king could die at any time."

     "So are you asking me for a favor to treat your king? Because I came from the future?" I asked. He looked down as if he's saying yes and is somehow shy to be asking this kind of favor. "Look, the future is an interesting place where you would want to stay there once you see it. Technologies are more advanced compared to your time right now, and of course our medical treatment are better than yours. But let me tell you this, I am not a doctor nor a nurse. I have no idea how to treat someone," then I added, "Except when I have internet and google, and maybe my laptop. Maybe, just maybe I could treat your king."

     "Really, what is that inteoneteu you keep mentioning since a while ago? And what is googeoleu? And leopeuteopeu? Could they cure the king? Is that a medicine in the future that may cure any kinds of illness?"

     "Uuhh.. Sort of? But they're not medicine.. Uh, how do I explain this? They are... They are tools! Tools that gives us information about everything we need in our life!" I exaggerated my hand movements in order to make him believe me. Then I remembered my laptop. I forgot that it was with me when I got teleported here!

     "Excuse me but have you seen my laptop?"

     "Leopeuteopeu?"





     "Yes! My leopeuteopeu! It's a... Something like this!" I drew an imaginary rectangular shape in the air, "It was with me just a while ago! It's clearly on the table just before I went unconscious!" His eyes suddenly became large. "That's a leopeuteopeu? One of the tools you've mentioned which gives all kinds of information?"

     "Yes!' I squeaked. His face suddenly became white.

     Oh God. Don't tell me-

     "I thought it was a weapon so I asked one of my guards to bury it in the mountains."

     Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you like this post.

Chrome Pointer